Frequently Asked Questions

Who is Eligible?

If you are the registered legal owner of the property where electricity equipment is situated and no permanent rights have previously been granted you will be eligilbe to claim for wires, poles and stays.

If you are unsure, please call us on 01536 273697 and we can advise whether your property qualifies.

Can I still claim if the equipment was present when I purchased the property?

Yes, and as wayleave agreements usually expire upon sale of the property it is likely that no written agreement exists if you haven’t arranged one yourself.

What if I sell my property?

If you sell your property before your claim is completed, the right to negotiate a new agreement will end and the new owner will be able to claim if they wish.

If you sell the property within the agreed termed period of the agreement, the agreement will automatically terminate and will not be tied to the property itself.

I think there might be an existing deed of easement already in place.

It is unusual for a low voltage equipment to be held on a deed of easement however we will carry out the necessary research to see if a previous owner has already granted the rights. If they have, we will inform you (providing a copy of the Deed where possible) and close our file at no cost to you.

How much will I receive?

The amount paid by the electricity company to retain their equipment is subject to validation and in most cases they will pay in the region of £100 – £1000 depending on the nature of the equipment.

How much will this cost me?

We only charge a success fee of 20% plus VAT which is payable following the payment made to yourself by the electricity company in respect of a new agreement. Please note we operate on a no win, no fee basis, which means that there are no costs to pay unless we are successful in sourcing you a new agreement.

How long will my claim take?

Most of our claims take between 6 months and 2 years to complete, however this timescale can be affected by factors outside of our control such as budgetary constraints within the electricity providers.

Why should I appoint Thomson Broadbent?

Thomson Broadbent Wayleaves are experienced and extremely knowledgable in sourcing wayleave agreements for homeowners and are experienced in handling all enquiries to ensure the process is as smooth and stress-free as it should be.

Can I appoint more than One Agent?

You cannot instruct more than one agent to act on your behalf to source a wayleave agreement.

Please note that should you appoint more than one agent it can significantly delay the processing of your case. If you cannot recall whether you have already appointed another agent please call for further advice.

How do I get started?

If you have received one of our mailings you should also have recived our ‘Authority to Act’ form, if you wish to instruct us to act on your behalf for the wayleave claim, complete the form and return it using the freepost envelope.

If you have not received a mailing from us and believe you are eligible, you can submit an enquiry using the link below: